We had a blessed day sharing the good news of Christ with the people of Brisbane city today. We had 5 of us on the team, and together we got out about 800 gospel tracts.
It's so cool to think that 800 people today have had the words of eternal life given to them today. It excites me to think what God will do with it!
We also had some good gospel conversations with over a dozen people. One in particular was with a Muslim fellow from India named Razza. He was quite firm in holding to the Qur'an, but his foundations began to shake when he came to realise that in order for the Qur'an to be a book from God, it must line up with what God has said before. For he agreed that God would never contradict Himself.
And since the Qur'an claims to be the latest revelation from God after the Torah and the New Testament, he acknowledged we should check to see if it is consistent with these prior revelations. And he came to realise that it's not.
We then also talked about how the our sins can be forgiven - not merely by God overlooking our sin (for that wouldn't satisfy his justice), but by someone else paying our penalty for us. This was the first time he had heard this; he had hoped God would just show him mercy if he tried his best. Razza took a gospel of John and said he would start reading it. Please pray for him.
To God be all the glory for everything that happened today!
It was a wonderful outreach last night for Good Friday at the Gold Coast. It was extraordinarily busy and we got to share with people about why Good Friday is actually good.
We had a team of about 15 of us, handing out tracts and chatting to people, and a few preaching. God drew in people to listen to the preaching and it sparked curiosity in the things of God. It was also great seeing the gospels of John were flying off the free Bibles table.
In fact, one lady came up to the person on the team who just finished preaching with the sketchboard and said, "I'm from India and don't know much about Christianity at all. But just earlier in the day I thought I want to get a Bible, and then when you mentioned about taking a Bible I saw this as a confirmation. I would love to have one, I want to read it for myself."
Glory to God that His word went out!
Today during our outreach in Brisbane city, we had the privilege of sharing the great news of Easter with a variety of people.
Firstly with a man named Mick who said he used to believe in Jesus, but now believes in the sun, moon and stars as 'god'. He maintained that he still loves Jesus, saying, "Jesus never said we can't worship the sun."
But when he heard that Jesus said that we should have no other gods before Him, he said, "Oh I didn't realise that." And as we talked about sin and how we need a substitute (who is sinless) to pay the penalty for our sin he said, "I think you are on to something. I've never heard that before." Please pray for him.
Later we chatted with a young lady named Miss Blue. She said she was a Christian, but didn't know if she was going to heaven because recently both the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses have been talking to her family and what they have been saying has confused her greatly. But this confusion hasn't driven her to read the Bible to find out, it's had the opposite effect.
She wanted to know what the Bible says, and so we spent some time sharing a number of different Scriptures refuting what the cults have been telling her. She was so appreciative to hear that the Bible has answers to her questions and she said she wants to start reading it daily. We explained the gospel to her a couple of times before she came to grasp it. Please pray that she comes to salvation.
Hundreds of Easter gospel tracts went out and more conversations were had. So to God be the glory!
Our triune God gave us 3 co-workers in the gospel who set out as those who have asked for and been granted "...refuge under the shelter of Your wings!", Ps. 61:4.
Most people took a 'Happy Easter' tract but not many were going to stop to chat, except those whom the Lord had appointed to stop this day.
- Three young couples passed by with a "We don't bother about things like heaven and hell." Have they been blinded by the empty idea of reincarnation. We noticed them later wading in the shallows. May the Lord awaken such careless sinners to their present state of condemnation - Jn. 3:36!
- Terry, a war veteran, had a conversation with 1 of us which was continued by another one of us. He was quite willing to speak out his concerns about a possible start soon to World War 3 and problems in the world. However he 'had to leave' when the talk was turned towards the greatest crime (from a human perspective) man has ever committed; the murder of the Righteous One, Jesus Christ. He would not listen past the declaration that God brought good out of this event.
How can someone be so hard that they will not even listen to God's good news? (Gen. 8:21 Our Lord's pronouncement. "..for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth." - Noah's flood of judgment did not change man's fallen nature & neither will the final judgment.)
- Mae received a tract and asked if it was about Jesus of whom they had heard a little. Husband Ming and children Sam and Eric were present throughout this conversation. This was the first time they had heard the good news. So we went on our rejoicing and as we walked and prayed we were giving God all the glory and thanking Him for the privilege of serving Him and being used of Him.
By His grace, another day of witnessing of our God who is great without/beyond/above measure, Ps. 145:3. How did He answer our prayers this day?
- a young lady, Maddy, whose grandparents are Christians has now reached the point where she needs to count the cost and submit to the Lord Jesus Christ as her Redeemer. May God deal with her in mercy if it so pleases Him.
- a Chinese teen boy was given a tract and taken through the bus/builder analogy, then through to the consequences of Adam's sin before his bus arrived. May God stir his spirit to become a seeker after Truth.
- an older man who was so inconsistent that he did not even realize his view of reincarnation was internally flawed. May he be challenged by the truth of God's good news and forsake in true repentance his self-love.
- 2 teen boys that I gave tracts to and began to converse with until Jamie, a professed atheist, took out his phone and rang someone. I left them with a challenge. Soon thereafter, Ryan met them and took Jamie through the builer/building analogy that he admitted made sense but then wanted to still call himself an atheist. Ryan used the analogy that if one did not believe in gravity but one day went to a science class where he saw an experiment showing gravity had a repeatable effect and he became convinced that gravity was real, he would have stop to saying he was an unbeliever in gravity. Likewise he should not call himself an atheist any more. Going through the law and the gospel, Sam who had thought that he was good now understands he is not good enough to get into heaven. May they both hear more of the truth that they desperately need to trust themselves to for the remission of their sins and the gift of eternal life - with the God of all grace! Hallelujah.
- a young lass, Ruby who initially believed in some impersonal higher power who cares for us. We started from the agreed position that if there is a God, then we cannot treat Him like a scientific experiment Then while we are flesh and blood and have no knowledge of what a spirit can or cannot do, from His Self revelation we learn that He is a Spirit, tri-Personal, and Jesus is God in the flesh so that he who has seen Jesus has seen the Father. I concentrated on the pure selflessness of Jesus coming and dying in the place of His people while we were still God's enemies and how as a Christian one can begin to learn how to live for God's glory, in part, by becoming more selfless in loving our wife or husband, as the case may be. We parted amicably with my expressed wish to her that she would come to know God and how delightful it is to know and love Him - 1 Jn. 4:7!
Without your prayers, how could we continue to tell out the wonders of His good news. Thank you. Grace be with you each and every one.
We praise the Lord for last night's outreach at the Gold Coast. We had about 15 people on the team. It was lightly raining at times throughout the night, but it didn't keep the people away.
Amongst the dozens of gospel conversations that were had, one stand out conversation was with a man from Colombia. He is studying English here for 3 more months. He had a Catholic upbringing and thought he was going to Heaven simply because his Catholic priest told him he would.
He had had never heard the message of grace, and thought his deeds had something to do with saving him. After talking a while, he came to grasp the gospel and was very happy to take a Bible to start reading. We also got his number to pass onto a local pastor in the area who will follow him up. Please pray for Andres.
To God be the glory that His Word is going out!
On Wednesday afternoons the team in Brisbane has been meeting in King George square. This brings a slightly different style of evangelism, with faster moving foot traffic in bursts. This means a lot more tracts are given out and less conversations are had.
This Wednesday we handed out around 700 gospel tracts, most of which were the "Easter Tracts". Which pose the question, "What is Easter really about?"
When this question was posed to one man he very hastily retorted, "Oh you Christians, trying to take all the holidays for yourselves." This man didn't really know where Easter had originated but he was sure the Christians were trying to hijack it.
It was explained that Friday is the day Christians celebrate the life purchased by Christ's death and Sunday is the day we celebrate the Victory of Christ over death, so that all who trust in Christ may rise with Him. It was also pointed out that it occurs during the time of the Jewish Passover, just like Christ's death and resurrection this man was a little less sure of his original claim but still didn't want Jesus to be the centre and sadly didn't want any offer of salvation from sin.
As this Easter seasons races upon us may we ALL not waste this God given opportunity to share with those who are perishing, that there is a God who came to save sinners. A God who came to take the justice and penalty we deserved upon Himself, so that we may be given the gift of life, the gift of mercy!
A windy day, reminding us of the Holy Spirit's work, Jn. 3:8 "The wind blows where it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." What will God do through our witness today to:
Both these heard the gospel. May God do His sovereign work work in their lives. We thank Him for the privilege of serving Him; for equipping us to tell His gospel without fear or favor; and for wisdom when not to engage someone in conversation whom God had not prepared for today's ministry. To Him alone be glory and praise.
Doesn't the Lord's leading amaze us? The members of the team numbered 2. Paul was busily handing out tracts until there were no more to hand out. Ryan spent a major part of the time talking to a lady named Win who turned out to be very syncretistic.
This lady had encountered 2 other usual team members during the last fortnight at a doctor's surgery and had eagerly listened to a disclosure on Jesus Christ in His office of Mediator. However, her personal standing was not disclosed except she had been very 'bad' and had been baptized in the recent past at Wellington Point.
When she could not find those two at Wellington Point today, she saw the two team members that were there to find out why. Soon Win was asked a diagnostic question which she answered like, "I leave those things to God!" Pursuing the law and gospel and showing her verses like John. 1:1 brought an angry rejection and her self-justification that was very confused. She said that God was the universe.
So the time ended and we ask the Lord to bring sanity into Win's life by granting her the twin graces to repent and trust Jesus Christ alone. Remember Jesus said that with respect to salvation nothing is impossible for God. To Him alone be the glory! Amen.
Isn't this aspect of our risen Lord's work fascinating? While I was engaging a couple with a baby, John, a regular user of this bus station and whom I could never understand, approached Ryan and stated that he reckoned no one would get to heaven because no one is perfect. (He had been given tracts before today). He initially would not accept the sinlessness of Jesus. I had concluded my meeting, and could concentrate prayer towards this situation. Ryan made the issue clear and stressed the urgency of it for none of us know when our time to expire will be.
Then Ryan called me over to add a few subsidiary Biblical facts including the prophecy of God's Messiah being born of a virgin, or sinless and so Jesus came to us precisely as God had said through His prophets. John has been invited to a local church which has wheelchair access and given the details if he needs any assistance. Pray the Lord reveal Himself to John and grants him the gifts of repentance and faith.
Now, back to the mother, Tony, and her baby and partner: Ryan had previously met them and gone through the law and gospel. I did so again as he perused the Jesus tract. Tony claimed to belong to Jesus and asked me what was the difference between us and the JWs. I started by explaining how they said that Jesus was less than divine. This means that He is incapable of saving anyone.
After this, he wandered away and Tony told me that he was atheistical. Then she asked me about the Mormons and I told her that their 'Jesus' was a sham who, they said did good to become a god. She agreed. Please pray that her commitment to Jesus would extend into every area of her life and for her partner's salvation, as well as the baby.
Grace is amazing as is our God of multi-faceted grace, 1 Peter 5:10. Thank you for your partnership in gospel work. There is room for another worker from 3:30 to 5p.m. Can you come?